Friday, December 12, 2008

Faro's Daughter - Georgette Heyer

THE HIGH STAKES OF LOVE

Lady Mablethorpe was aghast. Her young son Adrian was marrying Miss Deborah Grantham -- a gambling club wench! Thus she sent her trusted nephew, the vastly wealthy, clever, and imperturbable Max Ravenscar, speeding to the faro tables to buy the hussy off. To Ravenscar's surprise, Deborah turned out to be remarkably handsome, witty, and--he could scarcely believe it--well-bred. Nevertheless, he expected she'd be grateful far the price he offered to give up the young lord.


It's so good to know there are still books out there, waiting to be read – this is the feeling I get whenever I think of the Heyers that I have not read yet. And “Faro's Daughter” proved to be one of the very best.

Now, how to describe it?! I really can't! I've been trying to write this review for over a week now, and I still don't think I can do it justice... So, What I liked: I will say only 3 things: funny, funny, funny!
No, I'm joking:
1.This is one of the best “hate turned to love” books I've ever read! The reasons for the mutual dislike the hero and heroine feel for each other at the beginning is quite obvious and well founded. And although the process is not smooth and clear, it is also very obvious why, at the end, they find they can't live apart.
2.The best kidnapping scene ever! I'm not saying more, you have to discover for yourself!
3.It made me embarrass myself by laughing out loud on the bus!
I also liked the fact that the heroine worked in a gaming house. That's something not so usual to see in a regency romance. And it was something really not acceptable in the polite world. The husband of a woman with a history like that would not have a peaceful social life after marrying her... So, more congratulations for the author that she was able to make a believable happy end out of it!

What I did not like: This is tough, but since I'm not giving it a full 5, I shall give it a try. Although the book was perfect in itself, I have to add here that this perfection applies only when you enjoy this type of writing style. Heyer has many characters, many details, so the focus is not so much on the main couple. I guess this is my only complaint – that I wish there was a little more romance.

Grade: 4.5/5

3 comments:

Ioanna December 12, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

Great review Ioana, and I am glad you liked the book. It is one of my favourite Heyer as well. It is also one of the most entertaining ones and one I have re-read a number of times. Even though I know what is going to happen, it so much fun to (re)read! :) And as you said the kidnapping scenes were were great. I especially liked it when Adrian tried to intrevene and his help was refused! And I think many ideas are taken from this book and re-used in many modern regencies. Same for other Heyer books, but for this in particular, eg: heroine working in a gaming house, heroine allowing the attention of youger guy whom she does not plan to marry (but does not say so!), heroine throwing said younger admirer in the path of a suitably young girl, heroine accompanying an eloping couple that leads to a misunderstading with the hero. I have encountered each of the above a few times in other regencies, and I always think "Oh, this is copied from Faro's Daughter" (but never to such good effect :)

Seccionista December 12, 2008 at 8:04 PM  

This is one of the Heyer's that I haven't read yet and you girls make me want to rush to the nearest bookstore and grab a copy!

Great review and comment! :-)

Cara King December 12, 2008 at 10:32 PM  

This is definitely one of my favorite Heyers ever. And I agree that the kidnapping scene is sublime!

And I love how Heyer was able to give nitty-gritty detail about piquet, a game that few readers of the book know well, and somehow have the reader emerge feeling like they know how to play the game. Not easy!

Cara

Followers

Counter

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP