Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Black Sheep - Georgette Heyer


And what better way to open this new blog than to start with a review by Georgette Heyer? One of the most beloved authors of traditional regencies and considered the creator of the genre.
Abigail Wendover, on the shelf at 28, is kept busy when her niece falls head over heels in love with a handsome fortune hunter and Abbie is forced into a confrontation with his scandalous uncle.

Miles Calverleigh is the black sheep of his family- enormously rich from a long sojourn in India, disconcertingly blunt and brash. But he turns out to be Abbie's most important ally in keeping her niece out of trouble.

But how can he possibly be considered eligible when she has worked so hard to rebuff his own nephew's suit for her niece? And how can she possibly detach from an ailing sister who needs her? This is a heroine who has to be, literally, swept off her feet ...


I found it a very enjoyable and interesting read. The characters are all very well defined - Abby who is on the shelf but deep down wouldn't mind falling in love, her sister always complaining from this or that health problem to have everyone's attention, her niece who is suffering from a youthful infatuation for a gentleman she is the only one to believe is not after her money and the Miles Calverley, the black sheep of his family, newly returned from India and really not interested in following society's rules.

I think she made the characters come alive and Miles and Abby's dialogues are just funny, interesting and sometimes insightful on human bahaviour. Despite his schocking honesty and outrageous behaviour and style Abby is very attrated to Miles from the beginning. She does fight that attraction because she has to take care of her niece and be a companion to her sister, not to mention the past history between the two families. It goes to the point that Miles has to become a man of action and take matters in his own hands. Delightful reading really!

Grade: 4.5/5

5 comments:

Alex November 19, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

Excellent choice, Ana T.!
I didn't read the book but I will very soon. I was planning to buy some Heyers and this will be among them.
Maybe I'm wrong, but Abby seems to be very much like Anne Elliott from Persuasion (especially her dear sister "I complain about everything" Mary).;-) Anyway, I really have to start reading more Heyers. The last one I read, Sprig Muslim, didn't work very well for me.

Ioana November 20, 2008 at 8:33 AM  

You really have to read it Alex, it's one of the very best by Heyer... Anne Elliot it's only a pleasant character compared to Abby, but what made this book was the interaction between the hero and heroine. he is a little out of the norm, and boy, were they good together!!! :) I really have to reread it soon...

Alex November 20, 2008 at 9:20 AM  

I still have to order the book but now I want to read it immediately. You are bad miss Ioana, very bad!!;-)

Anonymous November 20, 2008 at 10:00 AM  

I love Georgette Heyer!
Black Sheep was one of my favourite, but not the very best one by this author.
A must read are These old shades and Devil's cub.

Great blog! must link you :-)

Anna

Teddy Rose November 21, 2008 at 6:59 AM  

Ana and others,

This blog looks delightful. I added it to my Google reader. I haven't read many real regencies, but I would like to.

Should I start with a Heyer? Hmm..

Followers

Counter

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP